Low back pain is one of the most common complaints treated by physiotherapists.
The statistics show that80% of people will suffer an episode of low back pain at least once in their life.
Low back pain causes the greatest problem in the middle years of life with a peak age of about 40 years
There are many structures in your low back that can cause pain. Often several structures are involved in pain or an injured.
- The intervertebral disc – a fibrous cushioning between each spinal segment or vertebrae
- The facet joint – joints at the rear of each vertebrawhich join one vertebrae to the next vertebrae
- Nerves – exit the spinal cord and run through a space called the intevertebral foramen
- Soft tissues – includes ligaments, and tendon which support and hold the spine together
- Muscles – can cause pain either directly by being in spasm or indirectly by the way support or hold the spine